Monday 15 October 2012

Booty Camp


Apparently I don’t have much to say about Meniere’s Disease lately – which is a good thing! I have been feeling good, for the most part. I’ve had a few off days here and there, but those are expected, especially as the weather changes.

I have decided to fill some of this space with my journey back to fitness- since it does come with unique MD related anecdotes! Last week I started boot camp with a great (Canadian!) company called ‘Booty Camp Fitness’. This all female boot camp style training claims to help participants drop fat and inches during the 4 or 8 week program. I am basically just looking for someone or something to kick me back into shape, and help me to incorporate fitness into my daily life again.

The first week was hard – walking was tough for the next couple of days! I did manage an at home work-out over the weekend, as well, which felt good. It is nice to feel my muscles sore – I know I’ve been using them! The next class is tonight, so wish me luck.

I notice that doing interval style training can throw me off a little bit; the whole purpose of this style is to spike participant’s heart rate for short bursts. For someone that has particularity low blood pressure (thanks to my diuretic), this kind of spike can be uncomfortable, and cause head rushes and a general off balance feeling.  I try to keep upright and moving as much as I can – laying/sitting down and standing up again quickly can compound these feelings. There is also quite a bit of jumping incorporated into the moves, which I find makes my head ‘slosh’ around a bit. I will have to find the line between working hard enough to help achieve the goals that I want, while not pushing myself so hard I feel unwell. The instructor knows about my condition, and I have taken all of the precautions that I can – I cannot let my MD keep me from fitness any longer!

The folks at Booty Camp give out a work-out DVD as well as a booklet to help track goals and monitor progress. I find this really helpful – I came up with a list of 25 wants/goals and some specific number based goals, as well. Currently I am signed up just for the 4 week program, but am already thinking that I will extend it to the full 8 week program – I deserve it.

I am already looking forward to not be able to walk tomorrow – yay for sore muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment