Wednesday 18 May 2011

What a Day

Well, today work has been crazy, I finally (?) signed up for Twitter, and the sun is shining.

It also marks a week and a day since my last spell... BUT, I am trying not to think about it!

I appreciate the reaction to my blog so much - it is awesome to put something out there, and get a lot of interesting, compassionate and helpful feedback. Thanks to everyone who has commented and/or e-mailed me.

Ironically, I actually was more social than usual this weekend, going on a rafting 'booze cruise' on Friday, a wonderful sushi dinner and then drinks on Saturday, and then a great girls night on Sunday. I figured I would be out with a spell since I messed with my sleeping patterns, but seem to be having a good health week, regardless!! Who knows, maybe it's just my new med regime finally kicking in, or maybe my body DOES like to mix it up once in a while!

My poor boss has been away sick for two weeks with dizziness - I feel terrible for her, as she is having a difficult time of getting back on track. At least she will have increased empathy when I am sick! Speaking of the work place and being sick, I read an article yesterday about a woman who has MS, but has not disclosed this to her colleagues. I found this very interesting. Her reasoning make sense to me, however any work place that would discriminate against me because of my disability is not a place I imagine I would want to work. It can certainly be difficult to put out there the things that affect us, and may cause us to be 'different' than your 'average' employee, but I think that it is important for the betterment of our society that all types of disabilities be recognized - only in this way can we work towards a society that is inclusive of all. Society often tells us that showing any kind of weakness is bad, and that we should hide our flaws, sometimes at any cost; I think that many times it is our flaws that truly make us who we are, because it is often the weaknesses in things like our health that truly make us stronger individuals in the ways that actually count.

You can ind the article on the Globe and Mail's web site: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/the-essay/why-ive-chosen-to-hide-my-ms-from-co-workers/article2023933/

No comments:

Post a Comment